Friday, March 16, 2012

Hudson Valley Cancer Mom: Bald Barbie

Hudson Valley Cancer Mom: Bald Barbie: My first thoughts....Thank God I have a son.  That being said a bald Barbie for a little girl is something I fully support.   A child losing their hair is difficult.  I remember exactly when it happened.  It was Easter 2011.  In the beginning, I foolishly hoped that Sean's hair would never fall out.  I also thought that as soon as Sean started chemo treatment his hair would just immediately fall out. So when it did not, I thought we were safe.   BUT Sean's hair did fall out-  Boy did it fall out.  His pillow, my couches, the towels etc.  were filled with chopped up and mashed up remnants of Sean's "hair".  Truthfully, I was almost happy when it all fell out because what was there on Sean's head was soooo not his old hair. His "old" hair was that soft, fine, blond - hair that most 8 years old have.  Treatment made his NEW hair coarse and rough.
     When Sean lost his hair my husband lost what was left of his resolve that "we were handling it" and I just cried.  A bald 8 year old was the ultimate manifestation of Sean's disease.  We had a child with Cancer... a terrible and difficult thing.    I feel that Mattel is foolish for not considering a "Bald and Beautiful Barbie".  As a mom and a Cancer mom,  ALL little girls receiving treatment for Cancer  and other diseases deserve respect, dignity and recognition.  I say YES- Make one!

 PS-
There are other diseases, not just Cancer, that make hair fall out.

.http://todayhealth.today.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/01/11/10122324-bald-and-beautifulbarbie-mattel-responds-to-lobbying-campaign

No comments:

Post a Comment